Republican leaders have been holding our country hostage. Now we are just two short weeks away from a major crisis, with our entire economy on the line. Why? All so they can secure billions in cuts to Medicaid while protecting absurd giveaways to millionaires, billionaires, and big corporations.
That’s why Families USA and the National Council of La Raza (NCLR) are teaming up to send a strong message to Congress today: Don’t cut Medicaid.
Seniors in nursing homes, children who need to see the doctor, and people with disabilities who live in the community should not shoulder the burden of debt limit negotiations.
These reckless cuts would have a particularly devastating and disproportionate effect on Latino and African American families, given that half of these communities’ children rely on Medicaid to get the care they need.
Now, with only 13 short days left before our economy is at risk for collapse, we have precious little time to make our voices heard and make sure this essential lifeline is protected.
Can we count on you to take two minutes to call your senators?
This issue is just too critical and a quick phone call from constituents will have a big impact. Just follow these directions:
- Dial 888-876-6242 to make a toll-free call to Capitol Hill.
- Urge your senators to protect Medicaid within the negotiations to address our nation’s debt limit.
You can also add:
- Extreme cuts to Medicaid could result in nursing home funding cuts, which would force many seniors out of their nursing homes.
- Irresponsible cuts to Medicaid would also undermine access to health care for many of our littlest Americans, particularly Latino and African American kids who need to see the doctor. Cutting care for kids puts America’s future at risk.
- It’s important to bring down the deficit, but the approach must be balanced with both spending cuts and revenue increases and must be done without gutting critical lifelines like Medicaid.
Once you make your calls, click here to double or triple your impact.
Negotiations are happening now behind closed doors. By the time we see a debt limit package, it will be too late to influence the debate. Please call TODAY to protect the Medicaid program.
Thanks for all that you do.
Director of Health Equity, Families USA
P.S. Don’t forget to check out our first-of-its-kind Twitter tool and let your elected officials know you support Medicaid.