Title: Government Relations Manager
Reports to: Director of Policy
Location: Washington, DC
Position Summary: The Government Relations Manager implements and advances the Harm Reduction Coalition’s federal policy and legislative advocacy priorities on syringe access, overdose prevention, HIV/AIDS and viral hepatitis, and related drug user health issues. The Government Relations Manager is responsible for representing the Harm Reduction Coalition in meetings with Congressional staff and Federal officials; tracking relevant federal legislation and policy developments; preparing advocacy materials; and representing the Harm Reduction Coalition in national coalitions and cultivating advocacy partnerships.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement policy and advocacy strategies with the Director of Policy to advance the Harm Reduction Coalition’s goals
- Develop and cultivate relationships with key Congressional offices, Federal agencies and Administration officials
- Represent the Harm Reduction Coalition in meetings with Congressional staff and Federal officials
- Track relevant federal legislation and policy developments
- Develop written materials to support advocacy goals
- Participate in coalition meetings, representing the Harm Reduction Coalition’s positions and issues
- Coordinate advocacy meetings for the Harm Reduction Coalition’s New York and California staff
- Engage with and support the advocacy goals of the harm reduction community in the District of Columbia
- Represent the Harm Reduction Coalition in meetings and advocacy on global harm reduction, HIV, and drug policy issues
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum 3 years of experience with federal advocacy and policy
- Proven ability to engage public and elected officials on policy issues
- Experience with policy analysis, development of advocacy materials, and coalition work
- Strong writing, communication, and public speaking skills
- Ability to travel periodically to New York and other locations as necessary
Knowledge of harm reduction (or relevant background in public health and/or drug policy) a plus.
The Harm Reduction Coalition is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, women, people with a history of drug use, and people living with HIV and/or hepatitis C are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Harm Reduction Coalition is a national advocacy and capacity-building organization that promotes the health and dignity of individuals and communities impacted by drug use. HRC advances policies and programs that help people address the adverse effects of drug use including overdose, HIV, hepatitis C, addiction, and incarceration. We recognize that the structures of social inequality impact the lives and options of affected communities differently, and work to uphold every individual’s right to health and well-being, as well as in their competence to protect themselves, their loved ones, and their communities. Visit us online at www.harmreduction.org.