(CNN) — “Dad, my throat hurts. Can you get me some cough drops?” B.J. Hom asked his father, Brian.
Brian had no idea those would be the last words he would hear his son say.
The Hom family had just arrived at a resort in Los Cabos, Mexico, to celebrate B.J.’s high school graduation and 18th birthday. But while Brian went to get cough drops at the gift shop, B.J. collapsed, his lips blue and his face pale, gasping for breath. He died that night from an allergic reaction, probably to unnoticed peanuts in a dessert from the dinner buffet.