Lupus LA, the West Coast division of the S.L.E. Lupus Foundation, promotes lupus research, awareness, and education, and serves the needs of people with lupus and their families in Los Angeles County. Committed to the hope and demonstrated promise of innovative science, Lupus LA partners with the Lupus Research Institute (LRI) to fund novel lupus research that will prevent, treat and cure the complex disease.
Lupus LA provides services to people with lupus and their families, including:
- Pediatric support groups to help kids and parents learn how to cope with the challenges of living with lupus.
- Monthly support groups in English and Spanish
- Patient education, peer support, doctor referrals and assistance with navigating the entitlement and benefits process.
- Emergency grants that enable families affected by lupus to purchase life-saving medication and pay overdue bills
- Enrichment grants that help families with limited financial resources provide activities such as after-school lessons in art, music and swimming.
Outline of Role: Lupus LA has expanded its services significantly over the last year. In addition to continuing existing programs, we have added additional support groups, a second patient conference, a young professionals group, as well as other fundraising events. The Lupus LA intern will provide support to our staff members, and will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects.
As the organization is in a major period of growth, this internship is ideal for someone who is interested in program development and evaluation, strategic planning and implementation, and budgeting. The role can be expanded to fit the interests of the selected applicant.
- Assist with mailings for fundraising events and support groups.
- Assemble information packets for recently diagnosed patients.
- Assist with strategic community outreach and network development.
- Assist with the development of policy and training manuals.
- Conduct outreach around events and programs.
- Data entry
- Other duties as assigned.
Strong written and verbal communications skills, self-motivation, flexibility, general office skills, proficiency with Microsoft Office, an interest in event planning and a sense of humor. Proficiency in a language other than English is a plus.
To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to Elyse Leon Reyes at email@example.com or fax to 310-860-9966.